Transform a plain tee into a functional, yet trendy tote bag with some doilies, a few spritzes of tie-dye and scissors! This easy-to-make tote is ready to make its debut at gym class, the beach or even around town for everyday errands!
1. Pre-wash and dry the t-shirt that you will be using to create your tote bag.
2. Insert T-shirt form between the layers of the tee to prevent the dye from seeping through to the back of the shirt.
3. On the front of the tee spray Aleene’s® Repositionable Tacky spray and lay out doilies over the sprayed area in your desired pattern. Try overlapping them randomly to create visual interest. Press into place.
4. Prepare desired dye color following package instructions. Pour prepared dye into plastic spray bottle.
5. Lightly spray dye directly over the doilies. Take care not to saturate the shirt too heavily to prevent the dye from running beneath the doilies. Remove doilies immediately after spraying to reveal the pattern underneath. Let set 6-8 hours. Rinse, wash and dry tee according to package instructions.
6. To convert tee to tote, cut off the neck and sleeves. You can adjust the size of the tote bag opening by adjusting how deeply you cut the neckline.
7. To create the bottom of tote bag turn tee inside-out and cut the bottom hem into a fringe. The length of fringe pieces will determine tote size. Tie the front and back pieces of fringe together in tight knots. Turn tee back to its right-side out position.