Roses are red, violets are blue, Valentine cards are the best when they’re made by you! Create this lovely DIY paper quilling heart card with a little imagination and Aleene’s® Original Tacky Glue®.
- Using your paper cutter or scissors, cut ¼ inch strips of your colored papers. You will need 7-10 strips for each color you plan to use to make the heart.
- Use cardstock folded in half to create desired size card. (Card shown is 5 x 7 inches.)
- Cut out the shape and size of heart you want for the front of your card from the scrap piece of paper. (The one shown is 4 x 4.5 inches.) Lightly trace the heart onto the center of the front of the card; this will be used as an outline for the paper quilling.
- To make the paper quilling, wrap a paper strip around the toothpick and tightly roll it. Once the whole paper strip is tightly rolled around the toothpick, remove it and set it on your work surface, allowing it to loosen/unwind slightly. You can use your fingers to unroll it more or less to your desired size and shape. Make a marque shape by pinching on side of the paper roll; make an S curve by rolling one half of the paper strip one way and the other half the opposite way.
- To glue your paper roll together, dab a small amount of Original Tacky Glueat the end of the roll to hold it together (and add a small dab of glue in the center at the start of the roll if needed).Slide a bobby pin over the glued spot to hold it together while it dries. Continue this process until all paper strips are rolled into desired shapes. Let dry for several hours.
- When the glue has dried, remove bobby pins and arrange paper rolls in the heart shape on the card as desired. Then pick up each piece and add a few dots of glue, then press back in place.
- After all of your paper rolls are glued down, place a book or something flat with a little weight over the paper heart and allow it to dry overnight. This will ensure the paper dries in place and flat against the card.
- Once dry, be sure to erase any traced lines from the heart shape that are visible. Now your card is finished and ready for a sappy love poem!